Prepare Ingestive Poisons (sage ability)
The character must compound the poison, a process that requires a laboratory and time and the various ingredients of the poison. These specific ingredients are, by and large, not too expensive, but some time and the character's full attention is required to produce a result. Each recipe given below is sufficient to create a "batch" which is sufficient for 4 doses. Poison cannot be made in smaller batches, nor can it be made in less time than indicated.
The character is able to make a group of somewhat clumsy poisons, which are easily detected (60% chance, minus the knowledge points of the preparer). Once consumed, the imbiber will know that something is wrong immediately. It will be clear that a poisoning has occurred, as the first effects take place. In each case below, roll 1d3 to determine the number of rounds that pass (12-36 seconds) before the first effects occur.
Ingredients: 20 grains aliphatic, 1 oz. horse chestnut or monkshood or spindle, 1 oz. soda ash, 1 oz. woundwort, 1 oz. witherite, 3 oz. gum arabic; 4 days to compound.
- This herb-derived poison attempts to promote nausea in the imbiber. Once consumed, the first effect is an intense nauseated response, at which time the imbiber makes a saving throw. A success will mean the imbiber vomits and suffers 1-3 damage. The imbiber will feel sick for 2-8 rounds, reducing their action points by 1 during that time. No other effects will be experienced.
- If the saving throw fails, the imbiber will feel an intense wave of revulsion while vomiting for two rounds and suffering 2-5 damage; the imbiber cannot take any other action at this time. On the third round, the imbiber's strength ability will fall by 1 point. The imbiber will then lose up to 1-4 additional points of strength each minute (every 5 rounds). This weakness will be complimented by nausea, which will lower the imbiber's armour class and rolls to hit by -2. The nausea will pass within 5-20 rounds after the last strength point is lost; the imbiber's strength will be restored by 1-3 hours rest following the subsidence of nausea.
Ingredients: 20 grains aliphatic, 1 oz. broom or horse chestnut or nightshade or water hemlock, 5 oz. malus domestica, 1 oz. soda ash; 4 days to compound.
- This fruitseed-derived poison attempts to produce a partial paralysis in the imbiber. Once consumed, the first effect brings a conscious stiffening of the right arm, at which time the imbiber makes a saving throw. If successful, the stiffness will pass in 3-12 rounds, during which time the imbiber will experience some difficulty and have a modifier of -2 for any action performed with the right hand.
- If the saving throw fails, the whole right arm and hand will become immobilized completely for 1-4 hours, during which time the imbiber will be unable to perform any actions with it. After the time indicated, the effect will diminish, so that the imbiber will be able to regain partial use of the arm and hand (-4 modifier to all actions) within an hour; with each half hour thereafter, the negative modifier will improve for the imbiber by 1 point.
Ingredients: 10 grains conium, 1 oz. angel's trumpet or belladonna, 5 oz. white baneberry, 3 oz. soda ash; 5 days to compound.
- This herb-derived poison attempts to cause the imbiber to sleep. Once consumed, the first effect is a sudden awareness of being overtaken by sleep, at which time the imbiber makes a saving throw. On success, the imbiber will collapse, will feel groggy for 1-4 rounds but will be completely aware of their surroundings and of what might be said. If wishing to, the imbiber may choose to feign sleep at this point. The imbiber will not be helpless, however; if they wish, they will be able to defend themselves, though they will suffer a -4 penalty to their armour class and rolls to hit for the time they are groggy. Once the grogginess has passed, this penalty is reduced by 50% for 1 round, and then evaporate the round thereafter.
- If the saving throw fails, the imbiber will collapse completely for 3-12 rounds and will be helpless during that time. If the imbiber has a constitution ability of less than 8, they must make a constitution check. If this fails, the imbiber will collapse into a coma for one full day, thereafter requiring a full day of rest before any action can be taken. Otherwise, the sleeping person will wake up normally once the somnikus poison has worn off.
- This mushroom-derived poison attempts to kill the imbiber. Once consumed, the first effect is a strong blow to the digestive tract, causing 3-6 damage. This is followed two rounds later by another effect, causing 2-5 damage. If this doesn't kill, the imbiber makes a saving throw; a success will mean that the poison has run its course; no more damage will occur and within 6-8 hours, the imbiber will actually feel better, with 1-4 hit points being restored.
- If a saving throw fails, then a third effect will be felt after 5-20 additional rounds, causing 1-3 damage. The imbiber will then suffer 1 h.p. of damage about 20 minutes later, and 1 h.p. of damage an hour after taking the poison. This is all the suffering that vexation is able to bestow. It is rarely sufficient enough to kill a strong, fit levelled person, but it is effective against common folk and as a means to kill vermin.